Can you beat back frizz, control cowlicks and tame unruly hair when you’re traveling? Yes! Bad hair days do not have to be part of your travel plans.
Hair Beauty Dos and Don’ts
1. See your stylist and have your hair done the day before you leave. Planning, packing and closing up the house are stressful enough. You’ll need the quiet time and relaxation which having your hair done affords.
2. Get a good cut and have it styled for comfort and ease. Once you have a masterful cut, there are many ways to punch up your look. If you have long hair, be sure to take scarves, clips, and ties. The humidity and heat in Thailand or Bali can turn normal hair into frizz.
3. Plan ahead, particularly if you are going to be gone for awhile. Purchase the correct hair formula for you hair color so someone else can do it for you without making mistakes. TAKE IT WITH YOU. If you need to have your hair done when you’re in Tuscany or Provence, for example, take a digital photo of your hair style before you leave the salon. Carry the photos with you to show the new stylist how you like your hair, so there’s no room for error. Unless you want to try purple hair and a buzz cut.
4. Brush thoroughly before going to bed so you get all the spray and residue out.
5. Buy a and use it. I have to admit that when I use my silk pillow cover my hair keeps its shape, bounce and body.
6. Consider using bottled water when you do the final rinse of your hair. Why?
My stylist told me she had a client who traveled to the Amazon and when she rinsed her hair with the water on the ship, her hair turned a brass color, due to the minerals in the water. Don’t trust the local water if your hair is treated or delicate.
7. Hair pieces are in. Don’t miss a morning train or pass up a decadent breakfast of warm French pastries and coffee because you are hassling with hair preparation. Have you had days when you don’t have time to style your hair between afternoon activities and dinner? Here’s the solution — pull your hair back and add a hair piece or a flower. It’s simple, easy and the end result is a sophisticated look.
8. Hair gets sun burned too. Apply a spray hair sunscreen before you go sailing, tanning by the pool or golfing. The hair spray is good for your skin too.
A good hair day can help a woman (or man) ooze confidence and poise.